How To Make Northern Michigan Pasties (With Pasty Recipe)

How Make Food
Updated on May 3, 2018 Barbara Badder moreContact Author If you travel to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, you can't miss the restaurant signs for pasties. Pasties are a food that was brought here from Cornwall, England, by Cornish miners. The pasty was an easy meal for the miners to take along when working. They could be eaten without a fork and easily heated so the miners could have a hot meal. The pasty was just put on their shovel and then heated over the overhead lamp in the mine.

As time went on, other ethnic groups added their own ingredients. Most pasties are made with rutabagas, but the recipe here uses potatoes instead. I've included ingredients that you probably already have on hand. In a bowl, combine the flour and salt. Cut in the lard or shortening until it resembles a coarse meal.

Add the ice water, toss together, and gather the dough into a ball. Go back to the instructions above. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a mixing bowl combine the steak and the potatoes. Now add to the steak and potato mixture the onions, parsley, salt, pepper, and thyme. Now divide the pastry into six different balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll each individual ball into a 7” circle. Spoon ¾ c of filling in a strip across the center of each circle.

Bring both sides of the dough up over the filling, forming a seam. Pinch the seams to seal. Brush with the egg glaze and then place on baking sheet. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 45 minutes. These are great to serve immediately hot as a meal or use later and heat up.

Enjoy the good eating! Pasta RecipesHow To Make The Best Italian Meatballs - Fast And Easy! Pizza Recipes5 Healthy Pizza Toppings: Pizza Sauce Recipes Included! Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account. 0 of 8192 characters usedPost CommentNo HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked.

Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites. I'm going to link to this recipe in my hub. E, You should. These are good. Awesome Recipe. I would love to try it. My son and I love pasties. Yes, you should try the recipe. Thanks for viewing and voting it up.

I love pasties we live not far from the UP. There is a pastie shops in our town. My friend use to make them all the time I never tried. One day I may try your recipe. Fred, Thanks for your comments. I added your suggestions. I've always heard rutabaga was a main ingredient, but we trolls under the bridge have more potatoes available than rutabagas. I'll try it with rutabagas instead.

It is not a pasty without turnips or rutabaga and gobs of butter inside to act as 'gravy'. FJ Miles, Sault Ste. I love a good pasty, great hub! Danette, Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I'm happy to hear that is brought back good memories. I just came across your Hub and it brought back memories of growing up in MI and eating pasties.

Am bookmarking your hub so I can come back and check it out again. Actually, I have used leftover meat. I've never tasted a pasty that didn't have tender meat though. Maybe using leftovers is a good idea though. I have seen the signs for pasties when we have gone north. I am from southern MI. I have always wanted to try pasties! Now I can. I do have a question, does the steak get done enough and not tough,

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post